Clicking the resource links on the companion site doesn’t open the resource
As a student or as an instructor, I click on a resource on the companion site and the resource does not open.
In order to open or download the resource, follow the steps below which will differ depending on the Internet browser:
Google Chrome and Firefox
Right click the resource link and choose either “Save link as” to directly download the file, or “Open in a new tab” to open the file in another browser tab and then download from that page.
Right click the resource link and choose either “Download linked file” to directly download the file, or “Open Link in New Tab” to open the file in another browser tab and then download from that page.
If you are on a page that should have content but the links are not displayed, follow the steps below to allow unsafe scripts to run in your browser.
The reason for this occurring is that the resources are hosted as http, whereas the companion site itself is set to https. Because of this, the Internet browser sees the resource link as being unsafe and blocks it from opening.
If the solution above is not solving the issue, allow the unsafe script to run in your Internet browser. The files themselves are indeed safe and pose no danger to your system. However, the sites that are hosting them are using older security protocols that do not meet modern browser specifications. A new platform for our legacy sites is tentatively scheduled for the first half of 2020.
The steps to allow unsafe scripts to run differ depending on the Internet browser being used but below are the steps for the most common Internet browsers:
- Click the shield icon to the right of the address bar
- Click “Load Unsafe Scripts”:
- The companion site reloads and the links will open the content
- Click the lock icon to the left of the address bar and then the arrow to the right of the “Connection area”:
- Click on “Disable Protection for Now”:
- the companion site reloads and the links will open the content
- Open the resource area you are interested in
- Hold “Control” down and click the resource download link
- Choose “Download Linked File”
- After downloading, they open the resource from within the “Downloads” folder